These tacos taste like I just ordered the fancy shmancy veggie tacos at a hipster Taco Food Truck. They taste like you paid $15 for two. (San Francisco I’m looking at you). My trauma of being broke in California aside, they are ROCKING my world right now.
I came up with this recipe after making Denise’s mushroom crepes. (I highly recommend you make those.) And I figured. Why not fill the world with mushrooms and put them everywhere? I’m going through a mushroom phase.
A problem I’ve been having with blogging lately is that by the time I’ve experimented with the recipe, made it enough, shot and video’d it – I’m pretty done with the dish. I’ve probably been eating it for a week straight and I am. done. So by the time I get to writing the post I’m one spoon short of it from telling you to never make it. I try to remember what it felt like to have it as a recipe virgin – but anything I write feels kind of hypocritical.
Yeah, not this time. This time I’m writing this and I haven’t even shot the photos yet. I can tell you with 100% real, truthful, certainty these mushroom tacos are the bomb. And I cannot wait for dinner cause I have leftoooovers!!!:D
So I don’t have to fill in empty space with nutritional info. Though if you must know, mushrooms are très magnifique at B vitamins. Boom. I did it.
A lot of people will only ever use cilantro as a garnish. But the thing is, you can cook with cilantro too – and the flavor will linger and embrace every minute portion of the dish. You can top it off with more fresh cilantro as garnish after. As my father and my brother would say “you can’t ever have too much cilantro!”
- 16 oz baby bella or crimini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 big handful of cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (less or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
- ½ tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- In a big pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and increase heat to high. Cook until they have reduced in size and lost most of the water, about 5 minutes, mixing every once in a while.
- Add garlic, cilantro, spices and salt. Mix in and cook for about 1 minute, just so the garlic becomes fragrant and the cilantro wilts a bit. Taste for salt and adjust.
- All done! Serve it over corn tortillas and drizzle a little bit of fresh lime. Top it off with sour cream, avocado, salsa, cilantro, shredded cabbage or your favorite taco toppings!
Hearty Mushroom Cilantro Tacos
I apologize for the video in advance. Really, it’s partly an apology to my past self because she suffered a lot through this disappointment. She videotaped the whole thing – cut the ingredients perfectly and had them in little cute bowls and cooked and assembled everything gingerly for the camera and all was well except for not pressing the rec button…
Me encanta lo que estas haciendo, te ves feliz. 😘😘😘😘😘😘😘